Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 2 at the Phoenix Open. The Good, The Bad, And My New Man Crush

I left the house around 8 am this morning heading to the tournament.  I knew it was going to be a good day, for I saw a really unattractive (I assume she thought she was attractive) with about 5 inch heels, trip and fall in the parking lot.  Serves her right.  Get better looking!!

My friends and I (I won't mention any names, for we were supposed to be at work), entered the tournament, got a cold one and headed out onto the grounds.  We immediately headed to hole 16, the loudest hole in any tour event.  I hadn't been to the Open in a while and unfortunately the entire hole is covered in bleachers and corporate sponsor booths.  No more sitting on the grassy knoll behind the green.  Here, no one is immune from the wrath of boos from the fans if you don't hit the green.  Even local favorite Phil Mickelson was heckled when the hit his tee shot into the left green side bunker. 

THE GOOD
As I was leaving the course, I checked the PGA Tour app on my I-Phone I sneaked into the tournament.  I couldn't believe all the low scores.  Camilo Villegas shot 2-under and is tied with Mark Wilson who shot a 5-under 66.  Arizona State alum Pat Perez shot  3-under and is in a tie for 6th with Scottsdale resident Tom Lehman.  The round of the day was turned in by last week's winner Ian Poulter who shot at blazing 8-under 63.

Check out the entire leaderboard HERE.

THE BAD
Not only is the 16th hole a tough venue for the golfers, this morning it was a tough venue for fans (at least me and my guys) as well.   It was around 9:30 am when we sat down in the bleachers.  A few groups came and went.  After about the 4th group, an extremely drunk guy started yelling and heckling.  Yeah, this is the 16th, but come on.  It was becoming obnoxious!  His girlfriend tried to keep him quiet, but he kept saying "you be quiet, you haven't drunk $125 bucks worth of booze this morning."  I admit, that was funny, but he was really bothering the patrons.  We took off and headed to another hole.

MY MAN CRUSH
OK, I am not gay (not that there is anything wrong with it), but Ian Poulter has moved into second on my favorite golfers list.  As you may have read in my postings from the WGC-Accenture, he can dress however he wants, especially when he backs it up with his play.  Today he was dressed in a great pair of blue plaid slacks with the belt and shoes to match.  But what HE did at the 16th hole is what impressed me the most and while I love to play and write about golf.

Poulter hit a some-what mediocre tee shot.  It landed on the green, thus no boos.  Phil Mickelson was in his group so most of the cheers were aimed at him.  Poulter lined up his putt for birdie, there was no noise, it was dead quiet.

Then as the ball was rolling about half way to the hole, a tiny, angelic, female voice peeped out "get in the hole!"  The entire crowd laughed and let out a huge "awwww".  Poulter turned around and smiled at the young child as to thank her for her support.  As he was walking off the green, he signed the golf ball and gave it to her.  That is class.  That is what golf is about.  That's why I can't stand Tiger Woods and the way he, I believe, defamed the great game of golf. 

Thanks Ian, my newest man crush.

1 comment: