Friday, February 19, 2010

The Tiger As We Knew Him Is No More


Even though Tiger is 35 years old and has accomplished almost everything on the course, we still think of him as a young, wirey, smiling star who always wore red on Sunday as he would accept a tournament championship trophy.  Not any more.

Known by his fellow players and seen by his army of fans to throw his clubs down or use vulgarities around the fairway were things we barely noticed or just shrugged our shoulders and moved on.  Not any more.

Seeing him chip at Augusta, watching the Nike ball hover at the edge of the cup and  finally fall in or watching him limp around the U.S. Open to come back and win in a playoff, are memories which should live in our minds forever.  Not any more.

Initially I did not see the press conference.  I had to listen to it on the radio on my drive back home.  As I listened, I began to feel sorry for him.  As some of you know, I am not a Tiger Woods fan.  My golf hero is Jack Nicklaus and I much prefer Phil Mickelson.  However the monotone voice almost put me in a trance like the Sirens did to Odysseus and his crew.  I couldn't wait to see the video.

What first struck me was that Tiger came out at exactly 90 seconds after the hour into a room engulfed with blue curtains and one small podium.  Was this a presidential press conference?  And if so, where are Obama's teleprompters?  Standing stoic and talking in his robotic voice he began to apologize for his transgressions.  Telling us that he was receiving help.  For what?  He never addressed that.  Then he began to speak about his Buddhist background and how he strayed away from it.  Did Buddha score hookers and Perkins waitresses in an Escalade outside the restaurant?

He needed to do this.  Tiger is paid around $150 million a year.  He owed an apology to his sponsors.  Everyday people like you and me give millions to his charitable foundations.  He owed us an apology.  He publicly needed to apologize to his friends and family. I heard one of the alleged mistresses speak out after the conference wanting an apology.  What the hell, I thought. But then again, if Tiger promised her god knows what, maybe he owes her one too.

I give him credit for at least getting out in front of the public.  More than half of the U.S. was either listening or watching.  I can understand him stumbling through some of it.  Hell, I stumble with my words ordering food at a drive thru.  But he should have answered questions.  Two other huge sports stars, Kobe Bryant and Alex Rodriguez, faced the scrutiny of the media.  Why not Tiger?

It all comes down to a matter of trust.  Do you believe him or not.  How many other women are out there that he did pay to keep quiet?  Is he so arrogant that this is only a blip on his radar and  his self -indulging lifestyle  will continue once this has passed? 

From now on when I first see Tiger I am going to think of him as an adulterer and liar.  Not the great golfer that he really is or may be.  Sad.

So to me on Sunday the only scarlet red Tiger should be wearing is the letter "A".


No comments:

Post a Comment