Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 2 At The WGC, Eating My Words, and the Tiger Show



Day two of the WGC-Accenture closed with some major upsets.  Unfortunately, my pick for the champion, Geoff Ogilvy, was sent home with a defeat by Camilo Villegas.  So as I stated in my previous writings, I am eating my words. With his loss, the defending champion and all number one seeds are gone.  A breakdown from today's play:

In the Bobby Jones bracket, (12) Thongchai Jaidee continues his stellar play be defeating (4) Robert Karlsson.  From the Ben Hogan bracket, (1) Martin Kaymer was upended by (9) Tim Clark.  From the Gary Player bracket (1) Lee Westwood was defeated by American (8) Nick Watney and in the Sam Snead bracket (1) Jim Furyk was eliminated by (9) Charl Schwartzel.

The highest remaining seed is England's Paul Casey at No. 6. Casey, the runner-up a year ago, who won the World Match Play Championship in England in 2006, swiftly dispatched Canadian Mike Weir.  Get a full rundown on the brackets HERE.

Again play was dominated with coverage from all the major networks of what Tiger Woods will say.  Are all the golfers going to take a ten minute time out while Tiger makes his "statements?" My take is that he will say he is sorry for his transgressions, ask for forgiveness, and tell the golf world when he will return. Frankly, I am kind of pissed.  Show some respect to the other golfers and sponsors.  Couldn't he have waited until Monday?

Being that tomorrow is the deadline for entering the Waste Management Phoenix Open, the folks here in Scottsdale are crossing their fingers that he may make his comeback next week at the TPC.  I doubt it. He hasn't played here in a long time and from the rumor mill, he hasn't been practicing that much.  Some say he will play in the Tavistock Cup in Florida.  My bet he will return to play at  Arnold's Bay Hill Championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment