Monday, February 15, 2010

A Foreign Invasion In The Desert

I used that title to get your attention.

As you will see from the rankings, there are a lot of foreign golfers in  the field this year at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship.

About 120 miles from my house is Marana, Arizona, the site of this week's PGA Tour event.  The four day outing starting this Wednesday will continue until the champion is crowned Sunday.  This year the tournament is being held at the Jack Nicklaus Designed Ritz Carlton Golf Club-Dove Mountain.  A spectacular venue where, like most Nicklaus courses, you must hit the greens and putt well.

As I reviewed the top ten Golf Power Rankings, I was shocked to see only three American golfers listed, Steve Stricker, Steward Cink, and Jack Johnson.  Phil Mickelson is out on vacation and who knows were Tiger Woods may be.  Defending champion, Geoff Ogilvy ranked #3 in the Gary Player Bracket (who plays a lot in the U.S. and is a member of Whisper Rock here in Scottsdale) will tee it up on Wednesday against Swedish player Alexander Noren.  The winner will play the winner of the Camilo Villegas/Dustin Johnson victor.  Johnson was last weeks winner at Pebble Beach.  For a complete bracket breakdown, click HERE.

The money this week is on Lee Westwood.  He is top of the power rankings, number one one the European Tour, and won a few late 2009 tournaments.  But if I were a betting man (and I am sometimes), my money would again be placed on defending champion Ogilvy.  Here is the WOW! factor:  89.4 winning percentage (17-2) in this event.

Check back on Sunday to see if I must eat my words.  


No comments:

Post a Comment